Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Food For Thought

Today's posts is about Mr. Riq Gee's aka Black Thought from The Legendary Roots crew. I was listening to The Roots album The Tipping Point and realized how underrated he is. He doesn't nearly get enough credit for what he does. My true hip hop heads can attest to this without a doubt. Listen to any of The Roots albums, he straight kills everything he's one from Orangix to Super Lyrical with Big Pun to Game Theory. Dude is a straight emcee, it just oozes from his veins. Don't believe me? Check this out then, his verse from Somebody's Gotta Do It:

Yeah ya'll, ideal for a lyrical perfectionist
Raw, that's what every soldier in my collective is
Thought, control level is that of a gold medalist
My level headedness make it come off so effortless
The rebel is a opposite extreme of devilish
Back setting it with the answer to your deficit
My track record is hot shit, consecutive
Smug, I got game just like a record executive
A kiss to the feminine girls loving a gentlemen
A genius slash gangsta with a skill for swindling
Bet on Black
Bet these cats that's all gelatin
Will fall back spittin' them raps that's unintelligent
Raps that cap, rabid rattlin' out the gattlin'
Crippling rhymes whistlin' past, blow you back in
Smellin' your blood now I'm huntin'
Blowin' your front in for frontin' what up cousin?
Oh, now it's nothin'
Yo, you can't go beyond a point of no returning
I flip like my name Turner
That's for certain nigga, Ted Turner, Nat Turner, nigga Ike Turner
The raw sojourner for truth
The mic burner


You can't tell me that's not just raw lyrical skill right there. People don't think of him because he's not the type of cat to be jumping on everyone's shit. The last time I heard him on someone's album was back on 2002, when he did Talib Kweli's classic album Quality. But as a hip hop head how can you not love that collabo. You got Kanye West on the beat, Talib, Black Thought, and Pharoahe Monch on the lyrics. He's been holding it down for a while, been in the game for over ten years. Each new Roots album be bring something new to the table.


Remember to pick up the new Roots album Rising Down next Tuesday.

Support REAL hip hop.

Coffey OUT!

No comments: